Thursday, January 3, 2013

Nillumbik Open Studio's





It's that time of year again where over 35 artist's from the local area open their doors to extend a warm invitation to visit their studios. This season I held my Open Studio viewing at a new location in Panton Hill - on the rural outskirts of Melbourne.


In June of 2012, I completed my two year artist's residency at Dunmoochin. While I am still closely connected to Dunmoochin and its community, I am so grateful to be currently painting in 'Frank Werther's' studio.... while I'm in the process of building a new studio.
Frank Werther was a prolific artist who was one of the first artists who built and settled at Dunmoochin alongside Clifton Pugh. According to his website "He was an extraordinary man, creative, inspiring and individual in an unapologetic but humble way".
I never did have the pleasure of meeting Frank before he passed away in 2010, but from all accounts though, he was such a beautiful man. This incredible space hadn't been touched since the day he went into a nursing home a few year ago. Like moving into the work spaces of Clifton Pugh and other Dunmoochin artist's - one can hear the stories & feel the inspiration and creation that went before.



November's Open Studio program was quite special. Until the completion of my new studio, my lovely parents kindly offered that I exhibit my work in their beautiful home in Panton Hill. On display was my most recent paintings, prints, cards and books, but this beautiful home is a work of art in itself.  The house has been featured in the 'Owner Builder' and 'Renew' magazines, been screened on 'Better Homes and Gardens' and won a Sustainability Award for its green design. (Incredible work dad!)
Jeannette Davison has also featured the house on her blog ISIIAD, so if you're interested in seeing more, please visit the article "Lascelles" in ISIIAD.



Photo - Jeannette Davison



photo - Jeannette Davison




page from the Open Studio's booklet






Visitor 25th November 2012





Buddha is
Cherry Blossoms
In the Moonlight
-Basho



Both of the weekends were incredibly busy with up to 100 people visiting daily. In fact, tallying up all around... this was the most successful Open Studio to date! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment